Biography Books Press Room Amy Wallace Books Life Resources Blog Events

Monday, February 11, 2008

Heart Music

Music touches my heart in a way that few other things can. That's why I listen to it every morning as I get ready. And I often write songs into my books because that's one big way God speaks past my mind and straight into my soul.

This morning three songs opened my eyes and set me to worshiping before I was even fully awake. I love days like that!

Here are some of the lines that grabbed my attention...

Somewhere in the Middle by Casting Crowns

Just how close can I get, Lord, to my surrender without losing all control

Fearless warriors in a picket fence
Reckless abandon wrapped in common sense
Deep water faith in the shallow end and we are caught in the middle
With eyes wide open to the differences, the God we want and the God who is
But will we trade our dreams for His
Or are we caught in the middle

Lord, I feel You in this place and I know You're by my side
Loving me even on these nights when I'm caught in the middle



What hit the hardest for me was the reality that way too often I'm willing to surrender, but only as long as I don't lose all control. Which is, in reality, not surrender. Then the lines about how God loves us even when we're caught in the middle stole my breath.

God loves us no matter what.

Thank You, Lord, that after twenty-two years, I haven't grown used to that six-word reality. Your mercies are new each morning and Your love is always ours.


Every Man by Casting Crowns

My life is scarred and my dreams unraveled
Now I'm scared to take the leap
If I could find someone to follow who knows my pain and feels the weight
The uncertainty of my tomorrow, the guilt and pain of yesterday

There is hope for every man
A solid place where we can stand
In this dry and weary land
There is hope for every man
There is Love that never dies
There is peace in troubled times
Will we help them understand?
There is hope for every man


I've lived a lot of my life with unraveled dreams, being scared to take the leap again. And I'm not alone. But God is an amazing heart healer and dream redeemer!

This song reminded me today that as long as we have breath, we have hope for tomorrow and today. Hope that never fails because its foundation is Jesus.


I Am by Nichole Nordeman

You saw my mistakes
And watched my heart break
Heard when I swore I'd never love again
And when I was weak, unable to speak
Still I could call You by name
And I said, Heartache Healer, Secret Keeper
Be my best friend
And You said, I Am

This song has long been a favorite. If you have a minute, here's a more detailed look at how deep this song is rooted in my heart: Stones of Remembrance

My favorite name for God is "I AM." Always in the present, always everything I need. That's a truth I can't wrap my mind around, but God has wrapped around me.

There are many ways God speaks to us. The top three ways I hear Him best are: the sound of water, music, and my children’s prayers.

What about you all? In this month many focus on love, what are the ways God speaks His love over you?

2 comments:

Leigh said...

Casting Crowns and Nichole Nordeman -- two of my very favorite Christian artists, mainly because their lyrics are so real. I think sometimes we sing along and don't really pay attention to what we're saying. But when we stop to really listen God can hit us with some incredible messages. Isn't He great to do that, just at the right place and time? Our God is just so smart. :-)

Amy Wallace said...

Hey, Leigh!

Thanks so much for your great reminder to stop and listen to God's messages. He is pretty smart! ;-)

 
Designed by: MasterDesignsArt by: JaggedSmile