Biography Books Press Room Amy Wallace Books Life Resources Blog Events

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Fun in the Son

Welcome to Beach Day at Peek-a-boo ICU! Here’s our tour itinerary:

Meet and Greet with Julie Carobini


Dive into Chocolate Beach (don’t you just love the cover???)

Go deeper with Julie

How to land a copy of Chocolate Beach

So grab your sunscreen, beach towel, chocolate, and lots of imagination. Then join me on the beach…Chocolate Beach.


Meet Julie:

Julie Carobini is an award-winning writer whose stories often spotlight her family, the sea, and God's timely work in the lives of those around her. She has written more than a hundred articles for all kinds of publications, including Focus on the Family, Decision, Discipleship Journal, Aspire, Catholic Parent, Beliefnet.com and many others. Julie lives California, with her husband, Dan, and their three children. Chocolate Beach is her first novel.


Dive into Chocolate Beach:


Even a laid-back beach girl has her doubts....

Bri Stone has it all: the man of her dreams and their surf-ridin' teenage son, a chocolate-loving best pal, an adorable beach bungalow, and a kicky job as a Southern California tour bus host.

She also has a few things she didn't ask for: a know-it-all friend, a snobby mother-in-law, and a Fabio-meets-Dilbert boss. All three of them seem eager to share their strong opinions and suspicions about Bri's relationship with her husband, Douglas.

When Bri's rose-colored glasses crack after she finds evidence that Douglas has grown tired of her carefree ways, she resolves to win him back. Can Bri reinvent herself--and recapture his heart?


Going Deep:

What inspired you to write Chocolate Beach?

First, I wanted to write a book set in one of my favorite locales—the California coast. Then I began to think about relationships, and how people often marry their opposites. What happens to them down the road? How do they deal with their differences? Are they still charmed by each other, or bugged? In Chocolate Beach, Bri Stone has always found solace in chocolate and the beach, but will these things get her through when she faces serious questions about her marriage?

When will Chocolate Beach release?

The official release date was February 2007, but it actually made it into readers’ hands in January. Exciting times for a newbie author!

Are there any new projects on the horizon?

Yes! Watch for A Curious Thing about Seashells (working title) in Summer 2008. It’s the story of Bri’s best friend, Gaby Flores.

Do you prefer to write contemporary chick-lit fiction?

Yes! I read all sorts of genres, but found my voice in Chick-lit. It’s sassy and fun, and allows me to tell stories of life’s challenges in an entertaining way.

Who are your readers?

My readers are the “young at heart.” Mostly women, they are aware of current trends and technology, yet they like to giggle through a good story. They also love to bond with other women over a hot cup of coffee or tea, and of course, designer chocolates.

What are some of the challenges you face as an author?

It can be so tough to find unobstructed time to actually write when there are so many other things vying for my attention: proposing new books, marketing current ones, writing articles, and most especially, caring for my family of five.

How do you keep your sanity in our run, run world?

Actually? I’m often overwhelmed. I must pray a lot—and God always steps in
Attending a regular Bible study helps too, because it keeps me focused on what God thinks about my busy life! I also jog on the beach, take a spinning class, and drink (too much) coffee.

What advice would you give to a person trying to become a fiction writer?

I address this on my new website. First, find every opportunity to read. Next, make sure you actually enjoy the process of writing before investing your life into it. Finally, get help. Go to writer’s conferences and watch how the experts do it; make friends at those conferences, the kind who will cheer you on in the days ahead (and who you can cheer along too!); and invest in yearly guides such as Sally Stuart’s Christian Writers’ Market Guide.


Amy here: For all you snow-bound and freezing folks, Chocolate Beach is a warm vacation get-away packed with the makings for a great escape. And here’s a sweet deal to get you started dreaming about summer: leave me a note in the guestbook and one of you will win an all expense paid trip to the beach…Chocolate Beach.

11 comments:

Robin said...

Hey Amy :), I'm writing a random post at my site today, and interestingly, I'm including a link to Julie's page. When I hopped over to her site to copy her URL, I saw the link here, so I thought I'd leave you a message. Hmmm, I think I'll link to your interview, too.

btw, I'm posting using my Blogger ID because it won't allow my TypePad info, but here's where I'm posting the entry mentioned above:
http://pensieve.typepad.com/pensieve/

Danielle White Versluys said...

Ah... chocolate and the beach. Two of my favorite things in the world, and since I was only able to find one in Colorado after moving from California, I think I'll have to track this book down to get a beach fix.

Thanks for the interview!

Danielle Versluys

Julie Carobini said...

Hey there beach-lovers~ Thanks for stopping by Amy's today. Love seeing your comments!

Surf's up,
Julie

Rel said...

Hey Amy - enjoyed the sneak peek into Julie's world. I have just sent in my review of Chocolate Beach to TitleTrakk.com so look for it there soon and on my blog a little later - loved it too :)

Kathleen Williams said...

I enjoyed reading your blog. the book sounds really good. Hope I get to read it!

Amy Wallace said...

Hey, Julie!

I'm posting for a new ShoutLife friend who's excited about your book. Here's what she had to say...

"I can hardly wait to read Chocolate Beach. It sounds so exciting." Jan

Cyndy Salzmann said...

Looking so forward to reading your book, Julie! I saw it on an endcap at Barnes & Noble in Rochester, MN when I was there for a book signing. It happened to be one of the coldest days of the year -- and I just wanted to dive into your cover! Hugs from chiily Nebraska, Cyndy Salzmann

Mary Ellen said...

Saw this book where I work and was intrigued by the author's name and her title. Now I definitely have to read it! Thanks for the review...ME McFadden

Rebecca LuElla Miller said...

Amy, I'm not in need of a copy of the book. Just wanted to say I enjoyed the interview. Great job.

And great book. Those who haven't read it yet are in for a special treat!

Becky

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Sounds like an awesome book!

Amy Wallace said...

The computer picked a winner for Julie's Chocolate Beach and it chose #3! So that means Danielle you're the winner!

Congrats!

Amy

 
Designed by: MasterDesignsArt by: JaggedSmile