Biography Books Press Room Amy Wallace Books Life Resources Blog Events

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

The eyes have it

I once heard a writer speak about eyes being a person's most attractive feature. Phrases like "bedroom eyes" and having a "come hither look" or the oft-quoted saying about the eyes being a window to the soul seem to agree with that theory.

I recently read another interesting theory about eyes. This article boldly stated that our eyes are the most important communication device we have. Think with me for a minute about this.

What do haughty eyes look like? Can you picture it? I can.

What about crying eyes? I imagine we have all seen those in the mirror at one time or another.

What about when someone's eyes light up at your arrival? I love how my girls' eyes dance and smile when I walk in the door after being gone for a while. And recently, how my husband's eyes look when we talk. They're alive with depth and interest and affection. That feels incredible.

I also checked out BibleGateway.com to see what God's Word has to say about eyes. There are over five hundred verses that speak on some aspect of eyes.

Why am I telling you all this?

Because in a recent conversation the topic of God's eyes came up and I started thinking a lot about what God's eyes see. Proverbs 15:3 says, "The eyes of the LORD are everywhere, keeping watch..."

God's eyes saw me before my first breath.

His eyes watched my first step.

My first tear.

My first soccer goal.

My first kiss.

And everything in between and after.

Uncomfortable thought?

For many hiding, hurting hearts it is.

Realizing that God has seen everything I have ever done used to make me cringe with shame. Then I felt sad. As I've spent some incredible time this past month hanging out with God in a special place, talking to Him about heart messages and all the painful ways I've received lies about who I am, I started to feel something new.

Comfort.

God's eyes are always on me. They always have been and they always will be. He saw all the bad, yucky stuff of my past, and the bad, yucky stuff of today.

And He keeps watching over me. He keeps loving me.

A conversation I had with my wonderful husband drove this point home. As we were talking about all the stuff we were bringing into the light and talking over with the Lord, he made a comment about shame and how it used to consume him. Then the Lord reminded him that He was there in it all. God saw it all.

And He forgave it all.

Ponder that a minute. God’s eyes see the bad and the good, the stuff in the dark and in the light. And He loves.

His eyes don't condemn. They aren't haughty.

God's eyes smile.

They laugh.

They shine out the love He has for us.

I think the most awesome thing about God's eyes is that they see all.

And what do His eyes have?

Forgiveness.

And love.

For you.

Can you see it?

2 comments:

Deborah Raney said...

Amy, I loved this post about eyes. So true. I'd never really thought about it before--and I'm a writer! From now on, I'm going to pay more attention to what my characters' eyes express; but more importantly, I'm going to pay more attention to that light in my husband's eyes, or the tear in my daughter's eyes, or the look of disappointment in the eyes of someone I may have hurt. Thanks for the reminder!

Amy Wallace said...

Thank you so much for your post! It made my eyes smile. ;-)

It's funny how I sit down to write a blog post with an idea, only to have God shape and change it in some really interesting ways. I so appreciate knowing that this post about eyes touched you because now I understand why God completely edited my original idea. ;-) And when I read your next bestseller I'll be looking for expressive character eyes and thinking, "I got to help with that." (big grin)

Amy

 
Designed by: MasterDesignsArt by: JaggedSmile