Biography Books Press Room Amy Wallace Books Life Resources Blog Events

Monday, March 31, 2014

Praying Dangerously April Week One


Teach me to enjoy You, God.

At first glance this doesn't sound like a dangerous prayer. But it is.

Especially when you consider what you enjoy most.

I'm reading a book  entitled "not a fan" by Kyle Idleman. Chapter four rocked my world- one of many or your one and only?

Idleman asked these questions:

When you're hurt, where do you go for comfort?
What disappoints or frustrates you most?
What really gets you excited?


Then he made this statement, "Jesus wants to be your one and only. Not the first of many."

I've grown up hearing "put Jesus first." But only? 

That left me speechless...and smarting a little. Okay, a lot. 

Because what excites me most, where I go for comfort - if I'm 100% honest- isn't Jesus every day. 

What I want at the end of a long, lonely day isn't reading my Bible. It's a TV show that makes me laugh and some chocolate. Or a book. Or talking to a friend. Or just going to bed early.

Not horrible choices. 

Unless you consider the alternative. 

What I've passed on is spending time with the most loving person in the world, who knows every thought in my head and never stops loving me. 

He's never too busy. He always understands- everything. 

I've passed on praying prayers that change the world. 

I've not taught my kids what it means to enjoy God more than people or TV or food.

So I'm praying dangerously and asking God to be my only Source. 

The only place I run when life hurts a little or a lot.

The only one who fills me.

The One who excites my heart more than anyone or anything else.

Today I started praying...

Lord, teach me to pray. Teach me to enjoy You, God, that You would be the only place I run to be filled. Teach me to never stop praying- to pray instead of complain. To run to You and find the rest my soul requires.  (Luke 11:1, 1 Thessalonians 5:17, Matthew 11:28)

No comments:

 
Designed by: MasterDesignsArt by: JaggedSmile