Biography Books Press Room Amy Wallace Books Life Resources Blog Events

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Thanksgiving mishaps

Now that many thoughts are turning to turkey and all the fixings, I'm gonna share a red-faced Thanksgiving moment.

This holiday humor is inspired by my dear friend Sharon Hinck as we traded Thanksgiving foibles today.

First you should know that two years ago I was diagnosed with gluten allergies as well as an allergy to eggs and dairy. Sort of shoots Thanksgiving recipes out of the water, huh? Yep.

So this year we're getting creative with all new recipes we pray retain the taste.

So far we've tried cranberry chutney which turned out pretty well. And I baked a from-scratch pumpkin pie.

That's my offering for today's holiday chuckle.

To begin with, I made this pumpkin pie for the first time to take to our church's Thanksgiving meal.

First mistake.

But all went well the entire adventure. My kids looked on with awe as I masterfully pretended to know all about these weird flours and other stuff the recipe required.

A little over two hours later, the pie turned out looking great and smelling great. I even put a cute pumpkin cut out of crust on the top of the pie.

Then we loaded up our food offerings and proceeded to church.

The meal was wonderful. The company awesome.

But at the end of the evening I found the dessert table still held my almost intact pie.

Why?

Apparently, the thick pie crust was hard to cut.

As in try cutting a brick.

So it's back to the drawing board for me... I'm still working on allergy free and tasty... minus the bricks.

And I'll try it out on my family first. ;-)

2 comments:

Sheila Deeth said...

Been there. Done that. Almost exactly that. My first gluten free pie was extremely brick-like, and no matter how hard I try my family always ask if I've made the crust from concrete now.

Amy Wallace said...

Thank you, Sheila, for keeping me from hanging up my gluten-free cooking apron!

I figured out my brick pie came from folding a too big crust double. Seems gluten-free crust is best kept thin. I put my theory to work and the next pie was picture perfect and sooo good! ;-)

 
Designed by: MasterDesignsArt by: JaggedSmile