Biography Books Press Room Amy Wallace Books Life Resources Blog Events

Monday, March 05, 2007

An in-dept interview with Tricia Goyer

This is my friend, Tricia Goyer. She's one amazing lady! Not only a phenomenal author, Tricia is also a homeschooling mom, loving friend, and incredible prayer partner. But don't just take my word for it, come join me for a fun interview to get to know her better.




And this is her new book A Valley Of Betrayal. This book gives a haunting depiction of the autocracies of war as well as the triumph of faith. Tricia creates a riveting cast of characters against the backdrop of pre-WWII Spain. Love, loss, pain, and beauty abound in A Valley Of Betrayal, the first book in her new series, Chronicles of the Spanish Civil War.





When and why did you begin writing?

I first started writing in 1993, when I was pregnant with my third child. A friend at church was writing a novel and something clicked when she told me about it. (Cindy Martinusen now as five novels published!)

Looking back, I realized I had the heart of a writer before that. I LOVED to read. I made up all types of stories in my head. I won a few essay contests in high school, but it took a friend’s encouragement to “click.”


Who encouraged you or what made you decide to write a novel and seek publication?

I never planned on writing historical fiction. I wanted to write contemporary romances. Then in 2000, I was with Cindy and another writer friend, Anne de Graaf in Austria. They were researching books, and I was along for the ride. BUT I was the one who got a novel idea, after talking to an Austrian historian. The historian’s true stories about the liberation of Gusen and Mauthausen concentration camps sparked my novel idea. The idea led to attending two WWII reunions and interviewing veterans. The veterans’ stories led to more novels. The rest, as they say, is history!


Do we "see" some of you in your characters?

Yes, my friends tell me my characters are very much like me. I can see myself in some more than others. I definitely see myself in Mary in Arms of Deliverance. Mary was born to a single mom. She later met her dad who was the editor of a major NY newspaper. After that Mary tried to earn her dad's love/attention by taking on dangerous, overseas assignments during WWII. I had the same type of experience (except for the dangerous assignment parts). Only a few people know about my biological dad (until now!), but having them read that novel was like giving them a glimpse into my secret diary--the emotions were THAT real.

Share a little about what God has taught you through writing.

Wow, mostly God has taught me to trust Him. When He gives me an idea for a novel it is so BIG. I mean there is so much to pull together. Yet, God has shown me time and time again that He is faithful. He gives me ideas, leads me to the right research books, and even brings people into my life to help me!

One example is a man named Norm Goyer who contacted me because he was working on his family tree. We weren’t related, but Norm ended up being a airplane expert and consultant for movies. Norm ended up helping me on my books. I think it was an awesome gift from God!

I know you homeschool your children. How in the world do you do it??? ;-)

Well, they are older now, so it’s much easier. They are pretty independent workers! My oldest son is a high school Junior, and he’s taking part-time college classes. The other two (9th and 7th grade) work on their stuff while I’m working on mine. We have one office with a wrap around desk . . . we all work side-by-side. Yes, sometimes I have to leave my character hanging onto life by a thin thread while I stop to help with a math problem, but I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Tell us a little about the community you’re building through your blogs.


I love blogging and connecting with people. I link to friends and they link to me. It is like a neighborhood, of sorts. You see people around and then you start introducing yourself and getting to know them. It’s fun.
Here are two of Tricia's blogs:
It's Real Life
Generation NeXt Parenting

Where do you go when you need to recharge?

I go to my bed and hide under my comforter … Seriously, I need quiet time. I usually wake up 1-2 hours before everyone else in my family. I need time with God. I need my time to read and journal. And then, during the day, I often to escape to my room to think, to pray, and yes … to nap.

Thanks for having me!

2 comments:

Tricia Goyer said...

Thanks for having me, Amy. You're the best!!!!

Anonymous said...

Great interview!

 
Designed by: MasterDesignsArt by: JaggedSmile